Sunday, August 11, 2024

On driving

Three weeks ago I spoke in favor of walking. And I have done a bit of that around here. But, unfortunately, my main mode of transportation, to work or otherwise, seems to be the personal vehicle.

I have had a license since my late teens, but I was at best a weekend driver. Suddenly, I find myself as potentially a daily vehicular commuter. There are advantages - having a car, visiting most places is a matter of simply deciding to do it and pointing my favorite mapping app at the destination, rather than using that mapping app to plan the right combination of transit, occasionally giving up, because, even though a location is reasonably close as the bird flies, it's a mess getting there with the existing bus or rail infrastructure.

But once I choose that destination, I'm constantly at work - looking around me, trying to parse what the mapping app actually means when it talks of an upcoming turn, unless I'm sufficiently familiar with the area to navigate myself. Perhaps a few weeks of this will make this easier. But I can't say I'm enjoying it very much so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment