Monday, August 19, 2024

On fighting navigation software

I am continuing to drive. As I am driving in still unfamiliar territory, I'm leaning on my cellphone's navigation app. It is not the best. It often gives me misleading instructions - although I feel some of the fault lies with the confusing and sometimes outright hostile road design.

I am told to turn right - but this leads me to turn before where I actually should, in turn forcing me into an annoying, and equally confusing detour. I am told to take a circuitous route using one exit off a highway, when an absolutely passable and simple alternative is waiting for me a few miles later - although there, too, I am mislead into a detour.

When turning right, I am told to choose one of two lanes - but one of them would force me to cross a solid line to take the left immediately after.

After a while I learn these nuances, so I am no longer mislead. I gain confidence in ignoring certain instructions from the navigator, forcing it to provide me with what I see as a better path. I have managed to accept when I have made a mistake, instead of dangerously trying to correct it at the last minute, and have also managed to avoid crashing into those who do not have such qualms.

I do wonder if I would have had the same issues if I weren't given suggestions, but instead studied a physical map myself prior to travel, or simply followed the road signs. Perhaps I will experiment more once I've settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment