I just spent almost a week in a city I've never been to before: Chicago. It's the first time in many years that I've had a chance to explore a new city. It's something I've enjoyed tremendously in the past: just walking around and seeing what interests me, occasionally setting myself goals, such as meeting a friend or acquaintance, or visiting a museum or a landmark. I did some of that in New York City a few months ago, and now I got to do much more of it somewhere entirely new.
Sometimes I've had a similar experience when moving to a new city, although that usually only lasts for the first few weeks, as I get a lay of the environment around me, how to get to the nearest grocery store, or the post office, some basic orientation. After that it's more rare that I'll actually explore beyond that. Which is a shame - when I get around to it, I do enjoy discovering more about where I live.
Moving was on my mind throughout, because I was supposed to move to Chicago. I worked remotely for a company there, and eventually they planned on asking people to come live near the office, and get back to in-person work. Due to how COVID progressed, and eventually, layoffs that swept me with them, this never materialized. But I am starting to wonder whether staying where I live, Troy, is something I really am doing because I like the area, or just due to complacency.
Now that I know that I'm a capable remote worker, I could live anywhere with a solid internet connection, if I wanted to. Just in the US there are so many places left for me to explore, and potentially live in.
And on the other hand, I should make more of where I already live. There are whole neighborhoods of my city that I have not visited, and many cities and towns around I've never even reached.
In any event, I will definitely be visiting Chicago again.
No comments:
Post a Comment