Sunday, March 31, 2024

Films I watched in 2023 - Part 4

Concluding the series of short reviews of films from 2023 (see Part 3).

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

Very good. Cosmic horror on a mass scale, navigated using one character desperately clinging to a sense of normalcy in the face of much evidence to the contrary.

Devil's Rain (1975)

A dull attempt at horror. The title credits with backgrounds taken from Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights accompanied with dissonant music was the highlight.

Promising Young Woman (2020)

I was really hyped up for this film based on the trailers, and then COVID happened and the release kept getting delayed, and I never ended up watching it. I was afraid that it would disappoint me, but instead it absolutely lived up to and surpassed my expectations. Brilliant throughout. Least supernatural and most thrilling and unsettling film I've watched in years.

Renfield (2023)

Fun action-horror with nice callbacks to past Draculas, and plenty of opportunities for Nicolas Cage to chew the scenery.

And that's that for 2023!

No comments:

Post a Comment