Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Weird Circle 25 - The Heart of Ethan Brand

"Who are the outstanding writers of weird and uncanny stories?" "Poe, de Maupassant, Bulwer-Lytton, Wilkie Collins!" "Where can I hear these stories?" "Listen to The Weird Circle!" "Out of the past phantoms of a world gone by speak again the immortal tale: The Heart of Ethan Brand.".

This episode, first broadcast on February 13, 1944, is an adaptation of the short story Ethan Brand,  by Nathaniel Hawthorne, first published in 1852. The adaptation is very loose, reducing the cast of characters (the absence of the Wandering Jew was not felt), and following closely after the eponymous Brand as he leaves honest living to manipulate the people around him through their weaknesses, in his search for the unpardonable sin. His dialogues with his eviler inner voice and with his victims push the plot forward very effectively.

I don't know that I can say more without spoiling the experience - I would recommend listening to this one yourselves. A solid character study well done in radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment