Thursday, September 29, 2022

Weird Circle - a spooky October project

"In this cave by the restless sea, we are met to call from out the past stories strange and weird. Bell keeper - toll the bell, so all may know we are gathered again, in The Weird Circle" (Typical opening of The Weird Circle radio drama series, accompanied by the sound of wind, waves washing over cliffs, and a tolling bell)

Last year I spent October reading through Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, trying to analyze it through the Sorcerer role-playing game. This year, while I hope to continue my reading tradition privately, my analysis posts here will focus on a different work in a different medium: the radio drama series The Weird Circle. I've mentioned my interest in radio as a medium, and I do listen to old time radio and podcasts on a regular basis, so it's time to share some commentary more broadly.

The Weird Circle is a series of adaptations of supernatural horror stories to radio. Of all the series I've sampled in the past few years, it seemed to have the most varied subject matter. I expect it to vary in quality, as did the sampled episodes.

I've downloaded the episodes from the Internet Archive here. I'll be listening to the first 31 in order, and ideally posting a short review of each every day, schedule permitting. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment